Are you often apprehensive about entering into a contract? Do you want a better understanding of what exactly is involved? Do you work in a business where you need to draft and construct contracts? This is the course to help you understand the elements involved in constructing, negotiating and enforcing contracts in the EU and beyond. This is a course for non-lawyers who are interested in understanding the elements involved in entering into, constructing, negotiating and enforcing contracts within the European Union and beyond.
The objectives of this course include:
- An introduction to contract law;
- Understanding the basic contractual fundamentals;
- Understanding the various methods of dispute resolution;
- Becoming aware of actions available for breach of contract and damages;
- Becoming familiar with standard terms in contracts;
- Identifying special in relation to certain contracts and unfair contract conditions;
- Understanding jurisdiction and choice of law rules in cross-border contracts;
- Improving contract drafting skills; and
- Exposure to selected judgements in relation to contract law as issued by the Maltese courts.
Module 1– Contract Basics
- Definition of a Contract;
- Contractual Fundamentals – Capacity, Consent, Object, Consideration;
- Offer and Acceptance; and
- Breach of Contract & Damages.
Module 2– Contractual Disputes, Standard Terms & Best Practices
- Litigation and Alternate Dispute Resolution;
- Jurisdiction, Choice of Law;
- Examination of various standard terms in contracts; and
- Best practices for drafting of contracts.
Module 3– Specific Terms in Specific Contracts,
- Promise of Sale;
- Employment Agreements;
- Contracts concluded through the Internet;
- Consumer Contracts;
- Purchasing and Requests for Proposals;
- Contracts of Lease;
- Intellectual Property Agreements; and
- Case Studies / Practical Exercises.
Dr. Jackie Scerri obtained a Doctorate of Laws at the University of Malta in 1999 and commenced her career as a litigation lawyer, gaining experience in civil, commercial, constitutional and insurance litigation. Eventually, she pursued her studies at Queen Mary, University of London, in the areas of Internet Law, Communications Law, Computer Law and Competition Law. She is currently a director at Equinox Advisory Ltd., a consultancy firm focusing on legal, corporate, economics and technical consultancy. She advises local and international clients on matters relating to online gaming, intellectual property and software licences, electronic commerce, data protection, antitrust and anti-money laundering procedures. She has advised on and drafted the regulatory frameworks for Commonwealth countries in the fields of telecommunications, cybercrime, digital evidence, electronic commerce, electronic signatures and data protection. She has also advised the Malta Lotteries and Gaming Authority in relation to anti-money laundering policies. From an EU perspective, Jackie has been commissioned to carry out reports on a number of occasions in relation to contracts, agreements, electronic evidence and telecommunications.
Jackie regularly assists clients in contractual issues of a national and cross-border nature.
The Fee for the Course is as follows:
- Registration Fee (Non-Refundable): EUR 35.
- Course Fee including: Lectures, Course Notes, Certificate of Attendance and Refreshments (Please see our Terms and Conditions on changes, rejections and cancellations): EUR 345
By registering for the course, you are agreeing to be bound by all the Terms and Conditions including payment terms. Upon Registration, an invoice will be issued for payment, which includes the Registration Fee and the Course Fee (which you will not be required to pay in terms of rejection but for which you are agreeing to pay in case of acceptance in line with our Terms and Conditions). The invoice is to be paid in its entirety within 15 days from the day of issuance. However, should you not meet the Eligibility Criteria for the selected course, the Course Fee will either not be levied or will be refunded if it has already been paid; the Registration Fee will remain non-refundable.
Should you wish to check about your Eligibility or clarify any other issues prior to Registering, kindly contact us on: firstname.lastname@example.org
Equinox Academy is licensed as a Higher Education Institution (License number 2015-005) by the National Commission for Further and Higher Education.
Sessions for this course will be held as follows:
- Session 1: 15th January 2018 between 16:00 and 19:00
- Session 2: 22nd January 2018 between 16:00 and 19:00
- Session 3: 30th January 2018 between 16:00 and 19:00
The venue of the course will be communicated to the registered participants ahead of course commencement.